Friday, November 30, 2007

TWO posts in one day? As Harmony put it, it's a slow news day.

Why is it when you remind someone of something they don't want to do, it's nagging, even if it's the first time you mentioned? I either have developed a(nother) major memory loss, or someone is just getting a little touchy. I'm being reminded of the 'many, many times' I have been told ______, when I honestly have never heard ______ before (and I have been married to this 'someone' for almost thirty years?!).

And I must be a little bit more nervous about this 'follow-up' ultrasound than I am willing to admit - or the planets are in the weirdest alignment in 52 years - because I am just hovering on the edge of major mind-trips almost all the time now. My daughter mentions veggies she is smuggling into her children's' food (my grandson hadn't caught on yet), and I have the taste of sweet potatoes in my mouth for the next hour. I rewatch an old episode of "The Office," and suddenly the commercials I saw with the show last time I watched it on television are blasting in my mind. I hear a old song (most of the time on the cable music station I keep on at home for the dogs while I'm out), and then it's replaying for about ten minutes in my DEAF ear.

I know it's something about memory triggers, and it would make it easier for several neurologists to send their kids to Harvard if I followed up on this, but I'm more than willing to just keep taking deep breaths to relax and let them pass by, which they always do, ... eventually.

And part of this may be that I am more and more determined to NOT mention my Monday appointment at the radiology department to anyone else (other than my daughter, who, of course, knows every detail of my life... including some she probably should not know). One individual in particular freaks out at the thought of a perfectly health greyhound at some time in the future passing away. If something, ANYthing, in my life gets any kind of negative prospect, I am not willing to live with that 'oh no what is/might/possibly might happen.' As I get older, I am more and more convinced that the secret of life is live in the present moment and enjoy it - the past is gone, and you can't change whatever has happened, and we have very limited control over the future (just don't give everything away and wander into the desert wearing only a loin cloth... Harmony, I know I never have to worry about YOU doing anything like this - if you did wander into the desert, it would be driving a fully-equipped SUV with AC, two DVD players, and two to three fully packed suitcases of clothing in the back).

Whew! I think you need some sleep, Hope - go to bed!

0 comments: