Monday, December 31, 2007

WHY YOU CAN'T GET A DATE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT AND WHY MOST SUICIDE BOMBERS ARE MUSLIM

I swear, this is the actual title of an article in the Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology, 2007. I just couldn't resist using the title.

I wish this happened every single day of everyone's life, but today I paused and just realized how incredibly blessed I am. I was breathing without any pain (after bouts of pneumonia, I do appreciate this), I have a home with heat (our night's are getting down in the 20's still), a dog who adores me (how can anyone not love that?), I have really great relationships with all three of my kids (honestly, this is one of the most important things in my life to me), and I live in a free country. The list could go on and on, but it was a wonderful moment.

We all need more of those.

HOWEVER, mingled amongst those great things (including titles of articles) is an upcoming opportunity to take one of my adult children to re-qualify for her low-income medical assistance (a necessity if nothing else simply to cover the prescription medicines she is on). I don't really mind giving her a ride, but I have to insist that I do not go in with her for the appointment. When I am present, she lapses into the incredibly dependent child-mode, and wants me to take over in the interview - and she can do it by herself.

So I either escape to Target (and feel incredibly guilty) until she calls, or sit in an extra-stinky parking lot (it's outside of an auto supply place, and the smell of oil is overwhelming), read a book, and normally develop a bad headache.

An escape plan is required, and I am plotting as I write. I will need the following articles - something with a decent amount of caffeine, at least 2 lbs. worth of chocolate, an interesting-enough new book that nevertheless doesn't require too much concentration (I am trying to finish "Black Swans," and it midway turns from a very captivating view of random chance into some sort of mathematical boasting), and a parking spot as far away from Auto Depot as possible. And perhaps a fresh bottle of Febreeze or nose plugs.

Wish me luck, world.

0 comments: