Thursday, January 3, 2008

PART TWO

I am a huge fan of the television show "The Office" - enough that I know more trivia from the DVDs of each and every season (and bring that fact UP often enough) that I drive fellow "The Office" fans nuts. So forgive me for the following.

Once again, I can appreciate the character Pam’s comment; "Now I remember why I dress that way I do at work."

I wore a cute top today into town. It’s a little bit snugger that I normally wear (which really isn’t saying a lot since I wear adult male XL sweatshirts a whole lot of the time), and it was a little bit lower in front, so I was wearing a camisole (is that the correct term for them nowadays? You know, little snug undershirt with a supposed exercise-bar-type support underneath... which with my bra size is sort of a joke).

But it wasn’t anything that a 52 year-old woman would like silly wearing... at least in my point of view. I think I’m pretty modest, and I’m not exceptionally proud of my 40-extra-lb-packing body, and although I glanced at the mirror a second time before I left, I thought it just looked okay.

HOWEVER... is it just coincidence that today 1) a guy I knew pretty well when I worked at Target, who steadfastly since I left has never gone out of his way to say ‘hi’ or anything, sought ME out today to ask how I was doing, 2) two men just sort of started a conversation with me, and 3) a guy speaking Spanish into his cell phone just happened to need to be in three aisles that I needed to be... and I don’t really think he was looking for toothbrushes.

I see why some women enjoy this, but it made me more than a little uncomfortable. It reminds me too much of what happened when I had jaw-surgery. I had an over-bite that could have been corrected with braces when I was growing up... but wasn’t (I think I was lucky that I got to the dentist at all when I was young!) . So when the orthodontists in the military offered to do the surgery to correct it (read that IT WAS GONNA BE FREE), I jumped at it.

I didn’t think the operation did a whole lot for to change my looks - other than keeping my teeth from being worn down unevenly - but brother, did the opposite sex suddenly begin reacting to my presence! In Mormon lingo, I had always been one of those "sweet-spirit, burning-testimony" types that usually ended up going on a mission instead of getting married - guys were friends and buddies a long time before anything romantic would spark.

But suddenly (and man, was it startling) men just seemed to be the ones that began the conversation - stood much closer to me - seemed a lot more interested in what I was saying.

And I HATED it - nothing had changed except my physical appearance by a few centimeters, and amazingly I was more engaging?

Oh, well, it at least proved (proves) the truth of one of my bumper-statements on my truck: "A woman’s looks are important because men see better than they think"

0 comments: