Wednesday, February 27, 2008

BISHOP BARKDULL COMES THROUGH AGAIN

I take notes in sacrament meeting for two reasons.

Number one, then I have to keep paying attention to what is being said, and don't nod off (well, at least don't nod off as much).

Number two, if the talk is really, really good, I have a record of it (that is, if you can read and/or decipher my notes; generally my scribbles are enough to at least get my memory started).

And number three... wait, I said there were two reasons. Okay THREE reasons I take notes at church. I try to get my learning-disabled child to do it at her church meetings, so I figure I have to be a good example of it myself.

And FOURTH... no, I can't think of a fourth reason.

So last week was our ward conference, and our bishop's talk was worth recording. Just two highlights, however (since you may not be incredibly impressed with it, even though I was);

--------------------

Beginning at 2 Nephi 28:19 - (can you guess I copied this from lds.org rather than type it?)

"19 For the kingdom of the devil must shake, and they which belong to it must needs be stirred up unto repentance, or the devil will grasp them with his everlasting chains, ... at that day shall he rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good...And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell....Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion! Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well! "

And then 2 Nephi 2:11 - "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things"

These are the conditions TODAY. And WE need to be the opposition to the evil around. Everyone looks at 2 N 2:11 as being in opposition to good things, but it also works the other way - we need to SHAKE THE DEVIL (doesn't that sound like a dance? this is me, not the bishop, but doesn't it?) and shake his kingdom. Are we here for just the ride, or are we DOING something?

----------------

I liked it - and I'm ready to go DO SOME SHAKING!

0 comments: