Tuesday, March 11, 2008

IT'S ALL RELATIVE (AND I DON'T MEAN FAMILY)

By sheer coincidence, I had the opportunity yesterday to talk to a cancer survivor/victim for about an hour. This woman has had Stage Four colon cancer, surgery, and a whole lot of chemo. She is completely bald, has paperly skin that continually itches, very limited mobility - and the happiest person I have met in a month.

Her cancer, although still there, is not progressing as a 'normal' cancer would, but much slower. She has the possibility of maybe a week - maybe a month - maybe a year. No one can be certain.

But this woman is just happy - almost ecstatic. She has been given a very uncertain amount of additional time, and she is (can't believe I am going to be using and expression for an old beer commercial) 'grabbing with gusto' every moment she has, without turning anything into a frenzy. Her kids have all visited, her husband is still working on home improvements, and she is in a recliner watching every single movie she has ever wanted to watch.

And is perfectly happy just to be here for however long she has.

So today I spent a little bit more time petting my animals - a slower walk in and out - a couple of deep breaths - I even stopped and picked up litter on part of a road home.

1 comments:

Harmony said...

This background looks familiar. A litte too familar.

See how your awesome post has made me focus on the larger, more eternal things? :-)