Friday, October 3, 2008

LIGHTING A CANDLE

Cultural expressions sometimes are difficult to explain. So much of it is the time and season of when the phrase originated - imagine how "that's what she said" will sound in twenty-five years.

I can think of the Mormon sayings that confused the heck out of me when I first joined the church - green jello with carrots (it sounded like a Martian dessert), funeral potatoes ( ), stake center (I heard 'steak' center), 'sweet spirit and burning testimony', 'bearing your testimony' (still sounds like buryin' to me and a bunch of toddlers), why a Mormon bishop had a wife (vs. Catholic bishop), and Beehives, Laurels, Mia Maids, CTRs, etc.etc.etc.

So a Catholic would understand one thing by the title of this particular blog, but to the rest of you, it's cool enough this evening that I HAVE lighted several candles just for the great scent.

0 comments: