Sunday, November 30, 2008

2009... NOT!

I like numbers. Back when I had a complete brain, math was one of those things that just came to me. And I loved it.

At least until I was a junior in high school. I wanted to take calculus, but was scared enough by the teacher - Mrs. Steele - that I simply quit. I had my general ed requirement in match already, so it wouldn't slow down my graduation.

(Mrs. Steele, if you're reading this, I'm sorry, but you were short and old and real DEFINITE. Everyone who had had you as a teacher said you were IMPOSSSIBLE. And you scared me. Sorry)

After I lost half my brain, numbers suddenly became the enemy (much like Mrs. Steele). The same integers were there, and the same equations, but now the answers weren't. And I was obviously somewhat dyslectic - I would see 48, and write down 84.

Gradually I became resigned to the fact that I had left behind a very good friend, and thank goodness BYU took my ACT math score to count as the math requirement - no more math classes required.

I still hold on to some math prejudices, however. Even numbers are almost always better than odd numbers, with some exceptions - like 13, 7 and 49. And even though it's an even number, 8 is pretty wicked.

But 2009. It's just WRONG. I don't know exactly why - maybe if I had a full brain again, I could explain this in a logical, coherent manner.
But I can't, so here is what I am going to do -

Relying solely on fanning fleeting feelings and passing provisional
passions (I just love words, don't you?), I want to begin a campaign to NOT have next year be 2009.

Instead, in January we will begin THE YEAR OF 2010 MINUS.

There - that should work.... shouldn't it?

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Hmmm . . . we should combine our brain power! I was a math major (but my brain is rusting to the point of no return). Don't worry- 2009 is not so bad. I wondered for a minute if it was prime, but no- it is 7*7*41. Yes, there is a certain warm, fuzzy, comforting feeling about even numbers. But the odd ones are more mysterious and challenging.