Sunday, March 8, 2009

MY SISTER'S KEEPER

I have to reason myself into attending church services. As in almost every single Sunday.

My nice warm bed can smoothly sweet-talk me into staying under the comforters (my husband takes the dogs out and feeds the horses for me on Sunday mornings, bless him) and remaining unconscious until late afternoon.

And it isn't like I hate church. I always learn something - and yes, normally something that I've heard 3,275 times before but still need to more fully incorporate into my life - and I get my spiritually weekly fill that I so desperately need, as much as I hate to admit it (note to self: review lesson on humility once again).

However, today, after dragging my sorry behind to services, I heard an remarkable suggestion just before church ended.

The lesson was about living in peace and harmony with others. And the teacher freely admitted that when she had first reviewed this lesson a few months ago, she realized that she needed to mend some of her own family relations to be able to teach this lesson.

So she challenged us to mend any strains we might be having with family members.

Which prompted me to call my sister tonight for the first time in a long time.

And I'm glad I did. Because it turns out my brother-in-law decided that they needed to sell their home in Pasadena and move back to Michigan. And she was packing.

And I probably wouldn't have known about it for quite a while.

Thanks, Heavenly Father, for getting the message to me, and I'm sorry I make it so difficult sometimes.

I'll try to do better from now on.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Years ago in my singles ward a sister was giving a lesson on missionary work. She told us right off the bat that she knew when we heard the topic, some of us would want to tune right out. So she handed out tiny packages wrapped in squares of fabric . . . they were earplugs. She said that if we wanted to tune out, to go ahead and use them!!

I kept those earplugs pinned to my bulletin board for several years, to remind me to pay attention no matter what gospel principle was being taught. I figure that either:

a) I can improve in my living of the principle and/or

b) I can improve my understanding of it.

Hope said...

Love it - thanks for sharing.