Thursday, May 28, 2009

A DAY IN THE LIFE

Problems expand to take up any available space they are allowed.

If you have a huge amount of problems, they will take up as much as your life as you let them.

If you have very few problems, those few things can become enormous, and will infect as much as you as possible.

I live in a house. I have food in my cupboard. I have heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. I have electricity. I have a microwave. I have a refrigerator. I can walk on my property without fear (well, occasionally with a bit of anticipation if it's 11:30 p.m., pitch black with no moonlight, and there have been two groups of illegals rounded up by the Border Patrol since sunset).

So when I have a "horrible" day, I need to sit back and realize how just a few things have been inflated by my little fragile ego and blown up to become completely unmanageable.

Today, I allowed myself to get irritated about time, traffic, and a movie theatre. I got frustrated with having to provide a meal for someone who had had back surgery - a meal that I had volunteered to take in. I was bothered by my husband following me around this evening - following me around because he wanted some company.

I was not in danger. I was not homeless. I was not hungry. I was not hiding for my life.

But I have allowed multiple inconsequential things to blow up and become important when they in reality were actually incredibly meaningless events.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

How true! Keeping a proper perspective can be tough, but healthy.