Saturday, February 27, 2010

TSUNAMI = UJIKINTOKI... NOT!


I have never been so happy to watch four straight hours of CNN Headline News with absolutely no dramatic ending.

Before I lived in Hawaii, I don't think I had any idea of what a tsunami was - perhaps some kind of sushi or Japanese dessert.


But when you live on a relatively small hunk of rock in the middle of the big wide Pacific ocean, you soon become painfully aware of what a tsunami is and what it can do.

Today, I am very very sad about all the people in Chile who have suffered in this earthquake, but I am very very happy that all the predictions for the tidal wave hitting Hawaii were wrong.

My daughter and her family were all able to evacuate to high ground, but I'm a mom - I'm grateful this is one tsunami that didn't even appear.