Wednesday, March 17, 2010

DOUBLE HOMICIDE

When does a murder become an assassination? Do you have to be at a certain level of political influence?

And why do assassins always have three names? ("David Berkowitz, Ted Bundy, Richard Speck... . Serial killers only have two names. You ever notice that? But lone gunmen assassins, they always have three names. John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Mark David Chapman..." - can anyone tell me where that quote is from... and is it a little bit sad that I know?)

Today I was involved in two deaths... well, symbolic ones, perhaps, but extremely emotional ties. I had to sign the death certificate... er, well, "Total Loss" insurance agreement, for my truck. I could console myself that it was at the very least an organ donar (it's parts will be recycled), but I was also abandoning my constant (and completely paid-off) companion of the past seven years.

I also have invested a (conservative estimate) $450 in bumper stickers over the years.

The other was a sudden but not completely unforseen termination - I opened my cell phone not five minutes after ratifying my poor truck's decease, and it, quite literally, fell apart.

Now, some people can do okay without a cell phone - but it is my only phone. I don't exactly live and die by it - but I count on it.

And, just like my truck, I have invested a lot of time and energy in this phone - individual photos, ring tones, short-cuts, background.... and a WHOLE lot of phone numbers.

So this period of mourning may go on for a while; I will need time to recover.... as well as a new truck (I've already replaced the phone - have you seen the ads for the new "Android"? I got one!!!).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to hear that the healing has begun. RIP, Blanca.

Harmony said...

So I'm FINALLY being a good daughter and reading your blog. There's a REAL picture of your truck on here too! I'll miss that little guy, but image the fun you'll have planning out the bumper stickers on a new one!

You also got a kick ass phone out of it too--wanna trade? ;-)