Sunday, April 11, 2010

"AS YOU WISH"


"The Princess Bride" did not fare well when out in the theaters, but rapidly became a cult classic when released first on VHS and later on DVD, and will continue to be in the next two years when it is upgraded to the new Blue-Ray/Laser-Vision/Something-New-That-Will-Cost-All-Us-A-Lot-Of-Money-To-Swith-Over-To-But-Will-Also-Change-In-The Next-Few-Years-Regardless.

I am constantly amazed by how many people are impossibly familiar with  the dialog from this movie, however. It might simply be that it's become a favorite of LDS families - I mean, true love, clean lanuage, and the closest the movie comes to nudity is with Wesley stripped to the waist while on The Machine - and I end up hanging out with a lot of other Latter-Day Saints.
 
In fact, a friend of mine posted on Facebook one line from the movie, which then was posted by another person... and it kept going for an incredibly long time.

Like "Inconceivable!" -- The Cliffs of Insanity -- "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya" -- the Fire Swamp and the R.O.U.S.s -- and my absolute favorite, "As You Wish."

I think it's significant that the first "As You Wish"es (is there any other way to write that?) were from Wesley when he was still "Farm Boy," and Buttercup was ordering him around like a slave.

This is extremely backwards thinking, so bear with me - but it makes me think of how we might at first be responding to God's commandments out of a feeling of obligation, as a threat.

But then we (hopefully) realize that God only gives us commandments in order to bless us, to show His love for us.

As you wish,

Can you follow that convoluted reasoning?

And if you can, could you please explain it back to me now?

0 comments: