Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Oh, may I thank the heavens every day that MY M.I.L. lives in a rural Oregon farming community, doesn't drive, doesn't fly, gets a phone call from me every Sunday , and whom I actually visit every two or three years when WE make the trip up to see her. This helps keep the relationship between us fairly calm.

However, I have a daughter who lives less than a half-hour away, whom I see ALL the time - who calls me several times a day, has multiple crisis a week, doesn't drive... but then calls on ME to drive her when necessary. Good thing that I love this kid, because man, she can be such a drain emotionally sometimes.

One added bit of calm, however - we have adopted another greyhound (Lady, our last grey, had to be put down about two years ago). Those unfamiliar with the breed assume that an ex-racing dog would be hyper and high-maintenance. Surprisingly, greys are the exact opposite - 40 m.p.h. couch potatoes. Dehlia does need two to three walks a day - and 'walk' is at a sedate, very calm pace - but then is sound asleep for most of the day. My dog gets along fine with her, and the cat already has her completely bamboozled - Dehlia respectfully lays down and turns her gaze aside whenever the cat waltzes past.

AND I am SOO excited that my OTHER daughter (the high-maintenance, multiple crisis a week one - but who DOES take care of herself, her family, her duties ... and me, most of the time, via long-distance counseling) and her family are coming for Thanksgiving. It is also getting focused on cleaning and decorating things that I have been able to ignore most of the six+ years I lived in this house. I am getting very creative in ways to 'disguise' some, hmmm, unmodifiable (is that a word) items (necessity if the mother of invention, right?). My carpet will remain stained, and I expect both Kate and Colin to add some new ones - but I'm just psyched to have them here for a few days. AND I am getting some painting done!

0 comments: