Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I am simply having way too much fun right now. I am painting walls very odd shades of green (nothing so far is turning out to look like the color swatches I got), trying not to get discouraged by the trail of paint cans, wet brushes and drop-clothes (which the cat has taken over tunneling through as his main recreation for now), as well as odd drops hitting the carpet, piano and my hair (good thing I’m getting it cut on Friday).

I am, however, getting frustrated with the newest member of our family. Greyhounds cannot be just let ‘loose’ - they have a habit of taking off in one direction and never returning. Our previous grey, Lady, got to the point where she could be trusted, even on her own, to come back. Dehlia, our new one, so far can’t even be trusted to get from the front porch into the house sometimes, and this is severely limiting any activity with Najale, my horse. I can’t walk them together for fear that Najale will trample Dehlia to death (boy, wouldn’t that be a fun thing to tell Bill) - Dehlia freaks out a little bit just when I take her with me to feed the horse(s) some carrots. She realizes they are big and somewhat scary, but she doesn’t quite know how to get out of their way.

So, my dear, concentrate on the things you ARE able to do, not the few select things you canNOT do. "Be content with such things as ye have" Hebrews 13:5 (and don’t be too impressed with me quoting scripture - I only remembered it because I read it a couple of days ago) (and it’s right after one of my FAVORITE scriptures - "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers" - I just get this little image of me in a straw hat and tap shoes doing a soft-shoe routine for some complete foreigner in middle-eastern garb, eating popcorn out of one of those huge movie pails and applauding - it just makes me smile).

Wait a minute, where was I? And does it really matter?! And no, I have taken any drugs... at least not today... that I know of....

Tomorrow I get my first ‘digital’ mammogram. I’m not nervous, just a little uneasy - my mom had breast cancer, and my best friend, Annette, has/had it (the cancer was removed, but she’s still undergoing radiation treatment). And if I come down (come up? go sideways?) with cancer, I don’t think I’d want to treat it (i.e. cure it, get rid of it, carve it out, etc.). It always seem so futile to undergo cancer treatment to get a few more years of life.
However, if I get the news, the basic human survival instinct will probably just kick in, and I’ll do whatever the doctor recommends. I don’t think I’m suicidal, but I’m not afraid of dying (if you are going straight to hell, why put it off any longer?!) (Joke there, friend).

Wow, how do I get from paint colors to cancer survival in the same blog?! I think you are rambling just a little too much tonight, my friend.

Say 'Good Night', Gracie!

0 comments: