Friday, February 22, 2008

I trust my kids. I cringe inside sometimes, and occasionally have tried desperately to talk them OUT of some choices - I mean, I'm a mother, and that's part of the job description. But I feel fairly confident that they at least have been exposed to correct principles, and, to quote Joseph Smith, "let them govern themselves."

It is scary - not unlike the first couple of times you let your baby walk across the floor by herself, and you just KNOW she is going to fall down as soon as she gets out of range. The first time you let them drive YOUR car alone - the first date they go on (and sometimes the second, and third) - and so one and so forth.

So right now I trying very hard to trust my youngest. He is taking a job over the summer rather than classes to get ahead financially and not take out another student loan. I admire that - I put myself through what college I did get, mainly by going one semester with at least one part-time job, taking a semester off and working full-time, and then back again.

However, how ever much I trust my boy, I am worried that this will turn out to be not be the 'security installations only and no selling' - that just sounds a little too good to be true. My best friend as a newlywed spent an entire summer in Kokomo, Indiana, while her husband sold encyclopedias door-to-door (honest). Turns out that nice kids going to church universities sometimes are an easy hits.

So the only way I could think of that would still show TRUST in my son and yet find out if this is a scam is asking him to call up his dad tomorrow and tell him about it. And then, of course, my husband will find out the name, look it up and find out if it's a reputational (is that the right word?) company/organization.

Of course, all this is screwed if my son reads this blog - which he might. At least I tried.

0 comments: