Saturday, February 23, 2008

LACTOSE INTOLERANCE HAS BEEN CONQUERED!!

I just love how the human body works.

One of my kids borrowed a DVD that I wanted back, so I stopped by, and went through, the drive-thru she works. Of course, I had to order something (otherwise you are violating the fierce rules of American fast-food etiquette and will be banished from ever trying to get an extra-large Diet Coke when you're in a hurry), and I really hadn't eaten much (other than enough of Pam's pancakes that morning that I had felt nauseous on the drive into town... no much really), so I felt justified in getting a chocolate milk-shake (see, it's a dairy product, and chocolate - a major food group - and the whipped topping doesn't count because it's whipped so light).

And then I had to wait almost an hour, along with about 17 other people, at the bank to close my 'business' account (the account's monthly fee is getting to be more than the business is bringing in), so by the time I got on the road home, my stomach was talking to me. Well, not talking to me, kinda being profane and complaining and beginning to get louder and LOUDER and LOUDER.

So by the time I turned off the highway (two miles from home), I was feeling very sorry for myself, and very ready to get home, lock myself in the bathroom, and feel even SORRIER for myself.

But then I saw something on the horizon - is that a nice, Arizona fluffy cloud? Or could that be smoke? ARGH!! It's BLACK and THICK SMOKE coming from somewhere... YIKES! About where my house is!!

Instantly, my body decided that any stomach problems definately were not on the priority list right now. And I discovered that, yes, you can get my truck up to 65 mph very quickly if you need to.

No, it wasn't my house - in fact, turned out to actually be over the border in Mexico. Maybe tomorrow's newspaper may let me know what it caused it. Probably not; this area normally doesn't get any headlines or even coverage... unless it's about illegal immigration (and then we are CNN worthy!).

But boy, my stomach was very quiet the rest of the day.

Mind over body? Fast driving over safety? Panic over normal reaction? I'll let you decide.

0 comments: