Saturday, July 19, 2008

GETTING EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED

My son tries to watch movies from a detached, critical point of view. He tries to guess in advance when and how the plot will thicken, take note of the director's hints or tips for plot development and character schemes, and remain uninvolved and untouched by the film by analyzing and scrutinizing from a detached, intellectual view.


I, on the other hand, jump whole-heartedly in, immediately suspending all rational consideration and straight away become as involved as the quality of the movie will allow (it is difficult to take something like Hellboy II seriously, I must admit).

Tonight "Apollo 13" was on television, and before five minutes had passed, I was completely and totally wrapped up in the tension of the three astronauts fighting the race against time to return to earth.

Enough that after six minutes, I had turned it off and returned to my 5,320,671th viewing of "Pride and Prejudice."

0 comments: