Thursday, November 20, 2008

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

This is just a private little moan. I watch re-runs of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" almost every night at 10 p.m., and do the dishes, take care of stuff, etc. during the commercials. I have seen each and every episode ever aired multiple times, and one of the advantages of having a poor memory is I will still laugh at almost every (good) joke.


So tonight when they were doing special recognition of T.V. stars, I knew what was coming, and still kept watching. They had Sid Caesar on as a guest star, and I, once again, just dissolved into a little puddle of tears.

He's the same age as my dad, wrote (and acted) comedy at the same time as my dad was writing comedy for television, and he LOOKS like my dad did right before his death.

It's isn't all that often that it hits, but I miss my dad. I miss talking to him. And it was always so great to know someone who really KNOWS you and still loves you (Annette and Harmony, you're the only other ones that fit that category).

As the song goes, thanks for all the memories, Dad.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey, your comments are working again! woo hoo! That is really sweet about your dad; he sounds like a wonderful person.

Cheri Block Sabraw said...

Hi,
Well, we definitely were on the same subject this week.

They don't make em like they used to!
Your dad sounded like a great guy, as well.

Here's to the Dads!
Cheri

Annette said...

Your Dad was such an awesome person. Didn't he used to teach Jerry Lewis' kids music? I seem to have some vague memory of that.

He was always so supportive of you, of us, of our horses,our projects and our silly teenage ideas. I remember when he took us to Santa Anita Racetrack to watch the early morning workouts. It was wonderful! I also remember him taking us to the Rosebowl to watch an equestrian jumping competition. Cool! Thanks Mr. Russell!

Syam Ahmedarino said...

Great!
your dad is awesome!
I wish I have a dad like him....

Hope said...

I'd forgotten about Jerry Lewis' kids - yes, he did teach the three Catholic ones (six kids - Jewish/Catholic parents - so three raised Jewish, three Catholic).

He was so incredible supportive of anything to do with horses, wasn't he?

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.