Monday, February 23, 2009

BEING A TELEVISION PERSONALITY

How many of us have wanted to be on television?

No, not as the star of a home video that made it to "America's Funniest Videos" and shows you sliding on the ice, your hemline up around your ears or being the victim of a vicious prank.

But as a 'person' - famous for something you did, or didn't do. Maybe because you are in a movie with some actual lines instead of just a walk-on part.

I have also thought the announcer on Jeopardy had the perfect job.

Johnny Gilbert introduces the players, and then pronounces Alex Trebek's name properly (which seems to be incredibly important part of the job), and that's it. I'd like to have a job like that.

But I don't think the majority of you out there (all three of my regular readers) know that Harmony and I appeared on television together a while ago.

Well, actually, quite a while ago.

While pregnant with Harmony, I took a Shakespearean course at Kansas State University. It was taught by the drama couch, with us actually staging the play(s) in a theatre. And it was a lot of fun.

The drama couch guy was wonderful, but my advanced state of pregnancy made everyone in the class more than a little nervous - they kept waiting for the baby to pop out during a reading.

Then immediately after Harmony's birth, I took an ASL (American Sign Language) course. The instructor was fine about me bringing the baby to classes, as long as I kept her quiet.

So when the local PBS station came by to film a spot on our class, guess who they put front and center of the class, had the instructor sign "What is your baby's name?" and me answering "Harmony"?

I'm just waiting for the Oscar nominations to roll in.

29 years later.

0 comments: