Monday, May 11, 2009

HBP

My body is extremely confused. About more than one thing, to own the truth.

Well, so is my mind, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I have low blood pressure - which is great for my heart, but bad for almost everything else in my body.

Picture your average, run-of-the-mill garden hose, with water moving through from the faucet.

When you tighten the hose, like with a nozzle, the water shoots hard and fast. If that's blood instead of water, that means your heart is having to work really, really hard to force the blood through that narrowed hose.

Now if you make that same water hose larger, the water sloshes through real sloppily (yeah, that's an interesting image), which means your heart doesn't have to work as hard to move the blood through.

However, it also means, when you point the hose in an upward direction, the water doesn't rise as fast.

Which, when it's your blood that can't move fast enough, can cause you to pass our when you stand up quickly - because the brain isn't getting enough oxygen via the blood.

Or at the very least make your vision a little blurry for a couple of seconds.

My blood pressure is low - a sloshy, slow hose - and in complete opposition to most adults, mine continues to drop.

So I'm just thinking - should I begin to smoke, gain weight, get stressed about every little thing - all the things that are supposed cause high blood pressure?

0 comments: