Monday, May 11, 2009

MIDNIGHT MADNESS

The other night I had a soda explode in my face.

Ungainly is a polite expression, but an honest description of me would include gawky, clumsy... well, I tend to drop things.

Easily.

And frequently.

So it wasn't entirely shocking that the can slipped easily from my grip.

But, like the true solider I am (see title of previous post), I immediately threw myself on top of the grenade (sidebar: did you know the word 'grenade' is derived from the French word for 'pomegranate'?) in order to absorb the detonation.

Well, actually, I picked up the foaming, spitting and hissing can, resulting in sticky, sweet fizzy soda flowing all over my hands, my arms, my legs AND getting into my hair (I'm getting it cut Wednesday, but it is actually pretty long ... for me, at least)...

... and proceeded to get more over the refrigerator, the kitchen island, and most of the cabinets until I got it into the sink.

And THEN the thought came to me of the brilliant concept of COVERING the can with any one of five readily available dish towels and thus stopping the insane leakage.

It was with a certain kind of surreal quality to be cleaning the kitchen floor at 1:15 a.m.

Now - what did YOU get to do last night?

0 comments: