Tuesday, August 11, 2009

SCARY AS HALLOWEEN MXLV

I have 147 bumper stickers on my truck. Really. I do.

And I have very deliberately kept from have ANY political ones.

My bumper statements are designed to be thought-provoking, silly, funny and/or deliberately very difficult to understand. Examples - "If a man is alone in a forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?" "If God doesn't exist, how do you explain chocolate mint ice cream?" "Happiness is not a destination, it's the journey."

My husband loves political bumper stickers, but he also is very happy to make everyone around him furious (in fact I think he works on it). He thoroughly enjoys having passing drivers made obscene gestures, scream at him while hanging out the window and driving 75 mph in a 35 mph area (politics definitely contribute to road rage), and take his magnetic bumper stickers (easily exchangeable then) off his car in the parking lot and probably burned in effigy of whatever political view they support.

My own reasoning is I do not want 50% of the driver's passing me furious, and political slogans on a vehicle obviously never permanently change anyone political stance - have you ever heard "Gee, I was a ZZZZZ, but then I saw a bumper sticker that said ABCDEFGH, so I am NOW definately a XXXX!"?

However, tonight I am going to stray into political waters regardless of my firm belief that I am only going to complain about a television news program.

I was, literally, forced to watch one hour of Fox news this afternoon.

Arriving at the doctor's office early for an appointment does in no way guarantee that you are going to be seen early. And today after driving two hours and approximately 102 miles, I could not convince the other irritated and delayed patients to 1) turn down the volume or 2) change the television station on the television in the waiting room, so I had to listen to Fox news for one hour.

And it was terrifying.

If you weren't scared about Obama's health care, they made it out to be horrifying.

And if that didn't worry you, then Fox news brought up that you should be at one of the shouting, threatening and inexplicable town-halls brawls to share your dismay.

And then if you weren't anxious by then, Fox news SCREAMED that you NEED to be AFRAID, very AFRAID that whatever health coverage you have RIGHT NOW before anything is changed or passed or in any way different IS NOT GOING TO BE ENOUGH and you are still going to DIE DIE DIE DIE regardless.

Geesch.

0 comments: