Friday, September 18, 2009

THE UNIVERSE FOR ME

Someday, quite by accident of course, I am going to wander into a fragile corner of the universe where people are quite literally hanging by a thread waiting for someone (i.e. ME) who can 1) bake incredible chocolate-chip cookies, 2) teach seminars on destroying fear, and 3) set records of amount of naps to be taken in the course of a normal day.

Until that day, I can only admire people like Heather Armstrong who make a living (and to all Internet appearances, a very nice living) writing blogs that seem to rile up and insult Utah Mormons and publishing photos of her dogs, Chuck and Coco.

My church leaders wish I would feel such a passion for sharing the gospel of Christ, but I think many (if not all) of us feel we have something unique and wonderful to share with the masses. For my husband, of course, it's how to prevent terrorist attacks on government buildings - for my oldest daughter, dressing in style, taken crisp, coordinated photographs, and somehow keeping young children clean and pressed.

But for me, I would love to share/teach/commune (in a profitable but somehow not crass or commercial manner depending on late-night commercials with 800 numbers with operators-standing-by-for-your-call or poorly colored advertisements in glossy magazines right next to the cashier at your local 7-11) relaxation.

Not the "Ommm" meditation or breathing techniques, but simply how to accept the here and now, learn to enjoy it, and most importantly REMAIN in the present moment.

Which is where, I firmly believe, joy and peace are.

To paraphrase a scripture, we are that we might have joy. Our accomplishments, be they our career, family, or the number of temple sessions you attend while under an incredible amount of stress and lack of free time, really do much for our spiritual advancement unless we learn to have a good time doing them. Enjoy the moment. Be there.

I've been fortunate enough to have spoken to several General Authorities longer than the 4 second customary two-handed hand-shake (which when done by a politician always comes across as cheap and insincere), and two things have always made a big impression on me.

1) They are HAPPY.

And 2) they are focusing right on what I am saying. Not already adjusting their face for the next person in line, or what they are going to say back - they are right there - with me - at the moment - and interested in where I am.

I'd like to be able to do that, and be there, all the time, for everyone in my life.

0 comments: