Monday, December 28, 2009

"DO SMALL THINGS WITH GREAT LOVE"



Mother Teresa said, "We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."

I did one small thing today.

And I tried to do it with love.

The only convenient way for me to drive into town in a state highway, with is lined with the state tree of Arizona - the mesquite tree (actually, the state tree is the Palo Verde.... which is a suburb of Los Angeles... but it should be the mesquite tree).


And for those of you who are not familiar with the mesquite tree, let me describe it:

IT IS THORNS. THORNS. AND MORE THORNS. Like a lot of things in southern Arizona, it is a plant with an attitude - the only way it can survive here.

And discarded plastic shopping bags simply ADHERE to the branches.

So this highway is "decorated" for about five miles with bags, bags, and more bags.

And my little offering of love today was parking my truck off the highway a bit, and spending about twenty minutes picking bags offa mesquite trees.

If there was only a way to get everyone to do that.... we might get rid of most of the little on this road - just a thought.

And I am going to attempt to do this each time I go into town.

1 comments:

Iva Messy said...

that really is such a great, powerful quote!!