Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A WEE TINY ONE FOR AN HOUR OR SO

Tonight I held a baby for about 45 minutes. Mainly because I remember all too well how exhausting it is to have a three-month old full-time, and wanted to give the young mom a little bit of a break.


But each time I have an infant in my arms, it seems to be the first time I can smell that distinct baby/clean/blanket/almost-sweet odor. The complete abandonment of their body when they fall asleep. And the just wisp of breath that comes softly from their parted lips.


It makes complete sense that we as mothers find these little creatures so enchanting - otherwise humans would not survive one generation.


And I have absolutely no desire to become a mother at my quite-a-bit-beyond-middle-age age (I mean, honestly, how could I expect to live to be 108 years old?). I am ecstatic that my grandchildren have two exceptionally capable parents that are not drug-addicts, homeless, and/or incapable of raising them - in other words, I am very grateful that I am NOT obligated to raise my grandkids at my age, as several of my friends at church are currently.


But they are nice to hold... for just a little while.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Anytime you need your fix, come for a visit!