Saturday, October 27, 2007

It sometimes astonishes me how I act when I get tired. First it's just slight irritability - then a headache - and then almost anger (which is NOT a normal emotion for me) - and finally resignation and a resolve to simply cope with reality.

After waiting some four hours, I was long past the anger, and tried to be patient with the wait for "Dehlia" (Delhlia?), a greyhound up for an adoption today. Finally the foster parent showed up; a long-haired, 'fag'-smoking (I am saying fag because I am not entirely convinced that it contained tobacco at all) gentleman about my age, who was in fact obviously very very fond of Dehlia - an extremely multi-colored female grey; multi-colored in being sort of Dalmatian-spotted, random sections of almost tiger/tabby orange and black. But also affection, and NOT at all hyper.

Yes, I was weak, I was weary - I said "yes."

But we brought her home. And so far she is being great - very passive with my dog (who is not at all the alpha-male), avoids the cat completely (who IS the alpha-male), eats politely when my dog is finished, and asks nicely to go outside when necessary. She accepts the horses simply as over-sized dogs, and walks very calmly on a leash.

I'm just grateful she is sleeping in my husband's room, and not mine.

It's only 8:20 p.m., and quite cool now - I am trying to summon up the energy to go finish the painting in my study (i.e. walls, not any attempt at artwork), since it didn't get touched at all today. As I get older, I think I understand more and more why people use drugs - if I could give myself an adrenalin shot right now, I think I would.

1 comments:

Harmony said...

I was convinced that you hadn't gotten the dog! How funny! I completely understand the "irratability to anger to insanity" landslide that comes with being tired. You are so nice to let Dad have his dog (for now!) She sounds like she's fitting in fine and sleeping with the alien that's invaded your house. Love you