Friday, January 25, 2008

LOCKED IN YOUR OWN HOUSE

I have done some silly things in my life (driving cross-country with a kitten, with a puppy, getting married without a prenuptial agreement), but I am NOT one of those person who locks their keys in their car, loses the mailbox key, or tries to get into and/or the wrong car (well, no, I guess I have done that - my Honda looked like a lot of other Hondas).

I probably have locked myself out of the house, but this is the first (and hopefully the only) time I have locked myself INSIDE the house.

I purchased a doorknob (see previous entry for the thrilling episode), and slowly over several days, through a painful process of elimination, got the door handle (one of those cool ones for those with limited hand use OR people who always have a large Diet Coke and three books in their hands) installed.

This afternoon I was one the FINAL rearrangement of two main components (like I said, process of elimination), when, whoops! The door slammed shut with a gust of wind - and SHUT is the true word. The bolt was in, but neither handle was, and what I thought would be a simple turn became a frantic, frustrating and FAILING effort to get OUT.

So I just hate to admit that yes, there are two other exits from our house (not including windows or the septic system, of course).

Anyway, since the dramatic tension is rapidly ebbing away (as would anything that mentions the septic system in a house), I should tell you that it DID get resolved (two screwdrivers, four hands and two very wet noses trying to help), the front door DOES open, and then handles are ON properly.

(Does this show how incredibly unexciting my life is some days?!?)

0 comments: