Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS DEAD


One of my favorite books in the whole wide world is "God and Mr. Gomez" by Jack Smith, who was a great columnist with the LA Times in the 60's and 70's (the dark ages, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, for you younger people).


I am mentioning this mainly to prove that I am not stealing copyrighted material, because I am shortly going to quote directly from this book.

And even though I do not get any royalties from this book, it really is a great book. I can't see anyone not enjoying it because it was written in 1974.

So here's the excerpt:

"There was music in the air, though, and it seemed to be coming from the ramshackle cantina

"I walked over to the counter. The storekeeper reluctantly withdrew her gaze from the electricians and fetched me a cerveza from an ice box. I took a table and joined the others in watching the show. It turned out to be a two-beer performance. The men were in no hurry, as long as there was cerveza and music. They took turns on the ladder, each politely giving the other time to test his own theory as to how it should be done. Meanwhile the musicians sang sadly and passionately of love and betrayal, which are the themes of rural music everywhere.

"Finally, the fixture was installed, everyone had a last bottle of cerveza, and the entertainment was at an end."

Okay, back to my blog. But isn't that great writing? The book's available on amazon.com for $11.53. No pressure here, but you really should read it.

The point I am trying to make (and failing miserably, because two readers have already given up trying to read this... wait, now it's three) is the quoted passage - "The men were in no hurry, as long as there was cerveza and music. They took turns on the ladder, each politely giving the other time to test his own theory as to how it should be done."

Putting aside the cerveza and music (which would help any job, I must admit), the point (now five lost readers) is, they cooperate. The electricians respect each other's opinions, they are allowing the other one the chance to be right.

Ah, here's the rub.

I have been 'assisting' (in the loosest definition of the word) in constructing a shelter for the horses for the last three plus months. Our friend Bruce has already done about 98% of it, leaving only the three walls for us to put up (easiest part of the job).

However, it is virtually impossible to put up 8' long metal sheeting, suspended about six inches from the ground, by yourself (and believe me, I have tried). So instead of hiring someone who actually knows what he/she is going, I have taken then path of least resistance) - enlisting the aid of my spouse.

Now, this is NEVER going to be a case of, 'oh, please, you try it your way and then I'll try it mine" - at least not with us. It's two stubborn minds that are already made up that "I" am correct (fantastic line from "The Princess Bride" - 'we will both drink... and see who is right, and who is dead").

Solution? I keep my mouth shut.

It works. At least when I remember to do it.
Okay, any readers left out there? Really?


0 comments: