Tuesday, January 20, 2009

HONOLULU TRAFFIC

The true reason for my all-paid, all-inclusive Hawaiian vacation must now be disclosed.

I am an extremely expensive babysitter.

My daughter and her husband have a chance (I refuse to use word the 'opportunity' anymore; subject for a blog sometime in the future) to spend a week in San Diego sans kids. That is, they can spend this week because of ME coming in to watch my grandkids for a week.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

However, I know that Kate can literally run in circles for hours. I know that my grandson can outwit me fairly easily - I mean, he's 5, and I'm almost 55, so the odds are in his favor to begin with.

But the real interesting part is going to be the commute.

Colin is in a private school. After having all three of my own children begin school here in Hawaii, I fully and completely support the concept - public education here is not very high quality (although I love all you teachers in Hawaii - the system stinks, not you!).

However, there is a bit of a drive involved.

To those of you who are not acquainted with Hawaii, there are a couple of things you need to know for my complaints to make sense:

#1 - Hawaii is composed of islands.

#2 - Oahu, where my daughter lives, is an island.

#3 - Islands have limited amounts of ways to get from one place to another.

#4 - There is only one main road from my daughter's house to the school where my grandson's kindergarten class is.

#5 - Every weekday morning, there are approximately 1.3 million people need to take that exact same road to get to work.

Since the school begins at 8:00 a.m., and most business begin at 8 or 9:00 a.m., the traffic here suddenly becomes very un-aloha with drivers refusing to yield their place in line, speeders darting in and out of holes in traffic (completely obvious of the drivers having to slam on their brakes to avoid them).

So what should be a fifteen drive becomes an hour + sitting in crawling traffic.

With a five year old and a two year old.

Thank God for whoever invented DVDs and put them in cars.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I second that last sentiment. Whoever invented the portable DVD player is my hero.

Annette said...

What a good Grandma! Have fun babysitting...good luck with the traffic...yikes!

Harmony said...

as the happy mom sitting alone in an airport-THANK YOU!!! That being said, I'm pretty sure Colin's going to tie you up in a closet on Day One!! Love you

Harmony said...

No having other Grandmas over to party--this means you Annette!!!