Monday, December 7, 2009

WE SEE WHAT WE WANT TO SEE


I am lucky enough to live where there are incredible sunsets almost every night.

Yes, ones that look just like that.

So why aren't sunrises that impressive?

There is nothing in the least dazzling or spectacular when the sun peeks over the horizon. It's already all bright and day-lighty, and if you aren't paying attention, you won't even notice as it peeps out.

But both moon rises and moon sets are so exhilarating... at least to me.

Well, when they happen at night - because normally the moon gets completely lost in a daytime sky, and you only notice it by accident.

And with moon rises, there is "The Moon Illusion" (isn't that just a cool expression?), the optical illusion in which the Moon appears larger near the horizon than it does while higher up in the sky.

A couple of weeks ago, the moon was rising just as I would be walking out to say goodnight to my two biggest babies.

There is something about that huge white orb slowly showing over the Mule Mountains and rising in the night sky that makes me want to wax rhapsodic  - even if it is illusionary and I am obviously no poet.


0 comments: