Saturday, September 18, 2010

MEMORY LOSS AND SOMETHING ELSE, I THINK....


"Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline.

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.
If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want - we will trace your call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen and a small voice will tell you which number to press.
If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.
If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.
If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.
If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.
If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All operators are too busy to talk to you."

"When my doctor knew I had memory loss, she made me pay in advance."

"Doctor: I’ve got your test results and some bad news. You have cancer and Alzheimer’s. Man: Boy, am I lucky! I was afraid I had cancer!"

--------------------

I've been aware for a long time that my memory isn't very good. I mean, I'm over 50, I have a brain injury, and I have a family history of Alzheimer's.

But tonight it was brought forcefully home by one thing and one thing only.

YouTube.

See, I have been without any Adobe Flash Player ever since I was stupid enough to purchase a 64-bit computer because the cute salesman said it would handle multiple tasks at a much faster rate.

Yeah. Maybe.

But a 64-bit computer won't run Adobe Flash Player.

So until this afternoon, when I discovered a trial piece from Adobe which temporarily runs the player on my computer.

And I rediscovered YouTube.

And accidentally discovered old bits of the program "What's My Line?"

When I realized I was watching the episode with Jack Benny for the FOURTH TIME it became apparent that my short-term memory loss was significant.

But there is one very good advantage.

The jokes are just as funny even when you don't remember watching it before.

Now, what was this blog going to be about tonight?

0 comments: