Wednesday, November 10, 2010

TAKING MY NAME IN VAIN


There are disadvantages to certain names.

Scientific studies have shown that people respond very differently to certain names or certain types of names. You may have heard about experiments where different names were put on the same homework assignment and given to multiple teachers to grade. Names that were perceived as "old fashioned," like Bertha or Marmaduke, were given lower grades on the average. The problem is, "old fashioned" is a relative term. When those studies were first done, Emily and Ethan would have been considered old-fashioned names, now they're as current as can be.

I haven't met anyone named Monica for quite a few years now - did everyone change their names after Lewinsky became a front-page headline?

My dad's name is Bruce - and he was a musician - and back then every possible gay joke seemed to have the name Bruce, pronounced with a lisp and effeminate hand gesture.

How long has it been since you've met an Adolf - an Elvis - a Madonna - a Bertha - an Elmer? Do you know a Hortense outside of a Dr. Seuss book?

I like my name, but I am convinced now that I should copyright it and make some dinero from all the ways it is being USED nowadays.

And yes, they are all worthy causes - wonderful sentiments - fantastic groups. 
 
But I am getting TIRED of hearing it all the time!!!! 

0 comments: